[MEncoder-users] Fast FLV encoding options

James Hastings-Trew jimht at shaw.ca
Sat Oct 6 00:21:34 CEST 2007

Eric Laurent wrote:
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> Encoding is really fast but quality with vqscale=31 is too bad (pixel
> blocks) (my fault, I did not specify any quality goal!).
>
>>> What would be the best encoding options if the main goal is to speed
>>> up encoding process and the only constraints for output video are:

Well, you did say that speed was your main goal. ;) Now you want speed
AND quality.

But seriously, if you have a multi-core or hyperthreading capable CPU,
add an approriate threads=x to your encoding options, where x is the
number of threads/cores your machine has.

I find the basic encoding options embodied in the following command line
work well for one pass encodes as a fairly good clip on my machine:

mencoder INPUT -o OUTPUT -of avi -ffourcc DIVX -oac mp3lame -lameopts
br=160:cbr:mode=0
-ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:mbd=2:trell=yes:vbitrate=1600:vrc_maxrate=5000:vrc_buf_size=1835:threads=THREADS

Plug in your own values for INPUT, OUTPUT, and THREADS

That'll do a basic 1 pass encode to a divx/mp3 AVI file. For more
quality, raise the vbitrate value. For smaller sizes, lower it.