[MEncoder-users] Using "-pan" for channel mixing

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Tue Nov 27 06:33:39 CET 2007

Tobias Brockamp wrote:
> In the example from the DOC "Example: downmixing 6-channel PCM" shouldn't
> it be
>
> -af pan=2:1:0:1:1:1:0:0:1:0.5:0.5:1:1
>
> than
>
> -af pan=2:1:0:0:1:1:0:0:1:0.5:0.5:1:1
>
> because the front right channel should go with 100% to "itself"?

Erk. It's actually worse than that. I guess I wrote that section before
I got myself mixed up in channel reordering and realized that the
standard channel order for PCM is different from that of AC3. I'll have
to remember to fix it if/when one of the numerous channel reordering
patches finally gets applied. ...which reminds me I have to try to
review Ulion's patch.

Anyway, mplayer doesn't currently handle PCM correctly, so if you want
to use af_pan to reorder and downmix, then the proper options are:

-af pan=2:1:0:0:1:0.5:0.5:1:1:1:0:0:1

-Corey