[MEncoder-users] raw dvcpro25 to quicktime compatible mp4-container (aac lc+x264)

Johan Arvidsson johanarv at gmail.com
Thu May 31 23:16:32 CEST 2007

Replying to myself here...

Johan Arvidsson wrote:
> 1. I get a few green frames in the beginning of all video files i
> create when i play them with quicktime 7.1.6. I wonder if it could be
> related to the stats for the first encoded 12 frames in the example
> below. Is it something with my source files that is making that happen
> or if it is a known bug. I'd be happy to provide samples if anybody is
> interested.
Is there any way to check if the files i create are broken or
non-standard? It would be nice to find out what is causing those green
frames

> 2. Two pass encoding. In this example the first pass seems to process
> the whole file and the last frame is number 30106. But the log-file is
> still named divx2pass.log.temp (actually i use another name for the
> logfile but i figured if somebody else googles for divx2pass.log.temp
> they will find this in the archives and hopefully a good answer too)
> so i added a check in my script after the first pass where it looks
> for divx2pass.log.temp and if it finds that file it renames it to
> divx2pass.log. And it sort of works. It seems like the last chunk of
> logs is not written to the logfile before mencoder quits when it is
> done with the first pass. With the renamed file i get some errors at
> the end of the second pass but the resulting h264 file i can mux with
> the audio anyway. I lose about a second of video at the end but it
> does'nt matter much. Still it would be nice if it worked :)

I just tried my script (see attachment) with some smaller source files
and the official binary for windows and it works as expected. It writes
out a proper divx2pass.log. And then i tried the binaries found here again:
http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer-win32.php
and now it behaves as i described above again. So now i get to choose
between a mencoder binary that can't properly create a statsfile after
the first pass or a binary that doesn't work with source files bigger
than 2 gb. (yes i now how much i paid for this software)

Would it help if i moved over to linux? Just seems to me like most
people around here are using mencoder under linux. Is mencoder/mplayer
more mature on that platform?

> 3. What is this about:
> ty:WARNING - Would have blown my audio buffer

I'm still curious about this one.