[MEncoder-users] -mpegopts format

Nicolas Hesler nicolas.hesler at sheridanc.on.ca
Wed May 30 16:24:47 CEST 2007

Nico Sabbi wrote:
> Nicolas Hesler wrote:
>
>> Would someone be able to give me the exact details/differences
>> between -mpegopts format=mpeg2 and -mpegopts format=dvd.  (What are
>> the presets set by each of these options and why might it cause the
>> problem below??)
>>

> mpeg2 is a format without any stream-specific metadata: pretty useless.
> format=dvd|xsvcd|xvcd specifies a format for dvd, svcd and vcd
> respectively
>
>> When I create an mpeg-2 for DVD using format=mpeg2 with a soft
>> telecine, Adobe Encore will accept as a soft telecine file, when I use
>> format=dvd, it does not and tells me the file needs to be transcoded
>> yet again.
>>

> then Encore is an idiot or buggy: the only differences between mpeg2
> and dvd
> are the presence of the fake nav packets before I-frames and a higher
> muxrate;
> nothing else
>
>> Here is the command line I'm using to create my file. If anyone has
>> any suggestions or can point out any problems/issues with the order
>> or parameters included the command line, please pass them along,
>>

>> mencoder -oac lavc -ovc lavc -of mpeg -mpegopts
>> format=mpeg2:tsaf:telecine -vf scale=720:480,harddup -srate 48000 -af
>> lavcresample=48000:0:2 -lavcopts
>> vcodec=mpeg2video:vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_maxrate=8600:vbitrate=5000:keyint=12:vstrict=0:acodec=ac3:abitrate=192:aspect=16/9
>> -ofps 24000/1001 -o output.mpg input.mpg
>>

> it's perfectly fine, except that keyint should be 18 for NTSC, but
> it's a marginal detail

FYI,

The latest subversion snapshot (mplayer-checkout-2007-05-28) works with
mpegopts format with soft telecine set to dvd and fails with mpeg2  (in
Adobe Encore), exactly the opposite of the results I was getting with
MEncoder 1.0rc1-4.1.2 .  So something must have changed since....Can
anyone make sense of this for me?