[MEncoder-users] Deinterlacing NTSC 480i30 DV content

Justin Randall jrrandall at gmail.com
Mon May 28 16:33:38 CEST 2007

Does anybody here know what the best deinterlacing method is in their
experience for interlaced digital video in mpeg-2 format? I've had
some success with yadif, but I'm having issues with A/V sync when I
try to double the frame rate to from 30000/1001 to 60000/1001.  Here
is my command line. I assume that field order does not matter so I
just use top field first.
Can anybody tell me what I'm doing that's causing A/V sync issues and
what I should do to correct it?

mencoder -oac faac -faacopts br=128:mpeg=4:object=1 -channels 2 -srate
48000 -vf crop=704:480:0:0,yadif=1:1,hqdn3d=3:2:3:3,harddup,scale=640:480
-sws 9 -ovc x264 -x264encopts
threads=auto:qp=15:qpmax=27:subq=6:partitions=all:8x8dct:me=umh:subme=6:frameref=5:bframes=3:b_pyramid:b_rdo:weight_b:keyint=250
-o test.avi recodring000.mpg

Note that I am using harddup because I want to remux the output into
the mp4 container format. When I run this I get a 2:1 audio/video
async because of the doubled frame rate. I read at 100fps.com that the
best deinterlacing method is a combination of
Bob+Weave which doubles the frame rate but provides the best results.
Any thoughts on this? Does MEncoder have any good bob+weave filters
that I can use or is yadif the only option at this time? Finally, how
do I solve my audio/video synchronization issues? Your help is
appreciated. If anybody feels that they have a better deinterlacing
solution then please share your command line.

Thanks,
Justin

--
Justin Randall