[MEncoder-users] Frame duplication issue

Lennart Börjeson Lennart.Borjeson at cinnober.com
Mon May 28 15:35:16 CEST 2007

måndag 28 maj 2007 15:00 skrev aslan at gmx.at:

> Ok, now that I understand the technicalities, can you also explain to
> me why this is a bad thing?

It is only a question of keeping order and tracking mesages. Many email
programs use the "In-Reply-To" tag to present the messages as a tree,
regardless of the actual subject. Thus, when you "hi-jacked the thread", my
email client, and many others, still display these messages as a part of the
original thread. Also, some might configure the clients to ignore certain
threads if the topic is of no interest. Your "new thread" would then not be
visible to those people.

> Do I understand this correctly that if I would not have started
> the new thread in reply but with no references to other threads,
> this would not have been a hijack and therefore ok?

The "In-Reply-To" is automatically created by the email client when you use
the "Reply" function to respond to a message. Your client may or may not be
configurable on this point, but usually you can't control it. You should
simply have composed a new email to the group.

> (And anyway, I started the original thread - can I hijack from myself?)

Yes. Is is a matter of keeping order *on_the_receiver_side*. You may of course
order your own copies in any way you want, but by "hijacking" you essentially
disable the chief tracking mechanism.

...enough said... let's go back on-topic and discuss mencoder uses. I'm sorry
I can't help you with your question.

--
!++
! Lennart Börjeson, Cinnober Financial Technology AB