[MEncoder-users] Frame duplication issue

Lukas Österreicher lukas.oesterreicher at inode.at
Fri May 25 17:00:43 CEST 2007

Hello.

I have a .ts (transport stream) file captured from
digital satellite containing h.264 video and ac3 audio.

When processing I often get the message
"1 duplicate frame(s)!"

I'm not sure what that means (maybe somebody can explain),
only what it results in.

See the log in the attached file for detail.
It seems -noskip does not alter handling in any way.

What I am doing (or trying to) is demuxing video
and audio streams and go on processing them based
on those.
(I use "mencoder souce.ts -of rawaudio -ovc copy -oac copy -o
audio.ac3" and "mencoder souce.ts -of rawvideo -ovc copy -oac copy -o
audio.264")

The problem here is that the resulting files are out of sync
and I could narrow it down to these duplicate frames:

When I fully process the video by re-encoding it,
duplicate frames exist in the video which causes
the video and audio to be in sync.
When I just copy the stream, there are no duplicate
frames causing the video to be too short.

However re-encoding the video is not a good option
as it takes very long and decreases quality
(quite a bit of detail is lost, even if I use
a higher bitrate as the original).

Is there a way to tell mencoder to export the
same frames when copying as it does when re-encoding
so video and audio durations match?

Thanx in advance