[MEncoder-users] help with old divx for linux codec, please?

Rob Prowel tempest766 at yahoo.com
Tue May 22 18:17:40 CEST 2007

I've got a problem that is related to MPEG4 codecs.  I
have a hardware MPEG4 encoder that generates
spuriously bad frames.  Occasionally it creates bad
macroblock information.  Getting the vendor to fix
this is unlikely since they won't acknowledge any OS
other than windoze and in windoze the errors are
hidden from the lusers.

I've been trying to use the xvid.org codec to decode
my input but it crashes (frequently) since the
developers don't seem to care about fault tolerant or
error resilient coding practices.  That means I must
evaluate other software MPEG4 decoders for stability.
I don't have the time, background, or resources to
write my own decoder.

If I understand my history correctly there are really
only two other options.  The ffmpeg mpeg4 decoder
which was loosely based on the h.263 stuff, and the
original divx for linux library.  I still have the old
divx for linux and want to see how stable it is for my
needs: 352x240 at 30fps 400kb/s input where each frame is
a discrete input unit.  No stream parsing is necessary
by the decoder since the encoder generates discrete
frame information.

I would so much appreciate some help (a concise
example) of the api usage for the divx for liunux
codec that shows me how to decode frames to yv12
format.  Anyone have anything relevant sitting around
that they can share?

This application is for wireless tele-operation of an
unmanned ground vehicle.  The unit currently uses
JPEG2000 and is way too bandwidth intensive.  MPEG4
with frequent keyframes is a much better option (if I
can find a codec that is resilient to corrupt input
frame data)...H.264 is not an option yet since there
is not a suitable hardware encoder in PC104+ format.

Please let me know if you have any experience with the
divx for linux codec and can explain the API to me.

Thanks so much
Rob

I told my pap and mam I was coming to the mountains to trap and be a mountain man. Acted like they was gut-shot. Says, "son, make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Them mountains is for animals and savages." I said, "Mother Gue, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world." And by God I was right. -- Dell Gue "Jeramiah Johnston, (1972)"