[MEncoder-users] help with creating avi from jpegs

Joey Parrish joey.parrish at gmail.com
Fri May 4 05:53:20 CEST 2007

On 5/3/07, Lee Birch <birch.lee at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to create a movie from a directory full of jpegs.  The jpegs are
> 640X480 and are output from a CAD package (30 frames per second).  They look
> like animation, and have some large areas of solid color.
>
> My audience uses Windows Media Player.  I would like a movie that they can
> play without installing additional software/codecs, if possible.  (I will
> entertain all options, though!)

Question:  Will your audience be receiving a presentation by you, or
will you distribute a video for them to watch on their own?

What is your target bitrate?

Try: mencoder mf://*.jpg -mf fps=30 -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vqscale=2 -o final.avi

If the quality is acceptable, we'll try to tweak lavcopts from there.
But vqscale=2 should use a constant quantizer and take of lots of
space.  As I understand it, if that doesn't look good then mpeg4 just
isn't going to look good for this source.

--Joey