[MEncoder-users] Video and Audio async

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Mar 22 16:36:38 CET 2007

On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 10:12:33AM -0700, RC wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 12:58:11 -0400
> larrystotler at netscape.net wrote:
>
> > This way, you are doing the mp3lame re-encode one the first pass, then
> > using that  output file to do the second and third passes.
>
> That could be a HUGE waste of disc space though, encoding something like
> a DVD, or even a highdef movie.

There's also a risk of mencoder screwing up and dropping or
duplicating some frames when doing the -ovc copy, which is horribly
broken with -ovc copy.. I would recommend the method of doing audio as
the last pass instead of the first. Then, the only time you have to
use -ovc copy is on your mencoder-generated source, which is less
likely to be messed up than random mpeg sources with all kinds of
bogus frame structure..

Rich