[MEncoder-users] Videos with fps 1000.000

Mike Hodson mystica at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 06:49:29 CET 2007

On 3/19/07, Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 10:33:36PM -0600, Mike Hodson wrote:
> >
> > If this is a real-time live stream, how can you pre-anticipate the
> > content?

> What do you mean?
I mean that WMV/ASF was created as a streaming format first, rather
than a fixed-fps format for use on cd-roms. In this case, microsoft
used indeo/mpeg1.

> > And, for that matter, how does RealVideo do it, as it too can
> > vary framerate based on encoding complexity to maintain a steady
> > bitrate.
>
> This ia a very stupid bitrate control mechanism. Simply lowering the
> quality of each frame hurts perceived quality much less that making
> the video choppy does. Also, dropping frames does NOT generally lower
> the bitrate requirement. Since successive frames have a much greater
> difference at lower framerates, the bitrate requirements should be
> comparable. Halving the framerate certainly does not reduce the
> bitrate requirement by 50%. At best it reduces it by 20% or so.
>
> Rich

Indeed, I personally have noticed the framerate != bitrate thing
myself. However, I can also see a few situations where image quality,
even with reduced framerate, may be of more importance than sheer
smooth motion that looks like a bowl of soup being stirred.  To each
their own i guess. :)

Its still interesting to note, that unless someone figures out how to
do it with Matroska, that wmv still provides about the only way (if
the encoder knows how) to truly mix 24fps film (more 'hand drawn'
character style animation) with 60fps(after deinterlacing) CG
animation without using 120fps as a multiple, on many of todays anime
shows from Japan.  Im curious though, just how much space would be
saved in that situation.

Mike