[MEncoder-users] Videos with fps 1000.000

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Mar 20 08:28:04 CET 2007

On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 11:49:29PM -0600, Mike Hodson wrote:
> On 3/19/07, Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:
> >On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 10:33:36PM -0600, Mike Hodson wrote:
> >>
> >> If this is a real-time live stream, how can you pre-anticipate the
> >> content?
>
> >What do you mean?
> I mean that WMV/ASF was created as a streaming format first, rather
> than a fixed-fps format for use on cd-roms. In this case, microsoft
> used indeo/mpeg1.

I mean, what is this "pre-anticipate" thing you speak of?

> Indeed, I personally have noticed the framerate != bitrate thing
> myself. However, I can also see a few situations where image quality,
> even with reduced framerate, may be of more importance than sheer
> smooth motion that looks like a bowl of soup being stirred.  To each
> their own i guess. :)

My point is that you're not going to get significant increases in
image quality by lowering the framerate, because there will be much
larger differences to encode, and thus more bits needed for each
frame.

> Its still interesting to note, that unless someone figures out how to
> do it with Matroska, that wmv still provides about the only way (if
> the encoder knows how) to truly mix 24fps film (more 'hand drawn'
> character style animation) with 60fps(after deinterlacing) CG

This is possible with almost any container, including even AVI, and
done in practice quite often.

> animation without using 120fps as a multiple, on many of todays anime

Using a common time base of 1/120 (or 1001/120000) is the correct way
to do it. Using a nonsensical time base like 1/1000 that has nothing
to do with the content (and that cannot accurately represent the
timing) is the broken WMV way.

No one using a 1/120 time base is encoding 120 frames per second. If
you see "120 fps", it's just an application misinterpreting a time
base as a framerate.

> shows from Japan.  Im curious though, just how much space would be
> saved in that situation.

Space saved? Versus what?

Rich