[MEncoder-users] Problem with mencoder and dvdauthor

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Thu Mar 15 03:25:05 CET 2007

Nico Sabbi wrote:

> The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> Ivan Arcos wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all !!
>>>
>>> I use mencocer for cutting movies and creating a DVD.
>>
>>> Later: mencoder -of mpeg -oac copy -ovc copy ficPri -o corte -ss
>>> iniCor -endposduraccion;
>>
>> Quite apart from your problem, I seriously doubt this will work
>> correctly, because AFAIK '-ss' and '-endpos' are completely ignored
>> when doing streamcopy.
>
> not at all; what makes you believe it?

Most likely, extrapolation from the general rule that *any* alteration
of the stream is impossible when doing streamcopy, and missing the facts
that a) seeking is done to keyframes regardless and b) time information
is at the demuxer level. (Although it occurs to me that out-of-order
frames might still be able to cause problems...?)

> -ss depends only on the demuxer of the input stream, regardless of
> the encoders used

It just seems a little odd to think of there being any operation which
can affect the contents of a stream but which does not involve any data
from below the container level.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.