[MEncoder-users] Impossible to get (synchronized) sound with mencoder.

Carlo Wood carlo at alinoe.com
Fri Jun 29 14:44:20 CEST 2007

On Fri, Jun 29, 2007 at 06:43:32AM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
> As far as B-frame-related muxing problems go, then yes, if you remove
> those options and add the long 'certify' option, AFAIR it should work.

I tried this, but the result is a .mpg with no sound at all.

> I have no suggestions off the top of my head for your primary problem,
> and I'm going to be running late for work fairly soon, so I don't have a
> lot of time to spend thinking about it.

Maybe today?  Because it still doesn't work.

It seems that anything I try doesn't do anything about the core
of the problem: that mencoder somehow thinks that there are a lot
more audio packets per second than that there really are.

If I use -of avi and re-encode the audio stream (with -oac lavc
-lavcopts acodec=ac3) - I get a HUGE desync where the audio lags
the video (I see video images and get the corresponding audio
only seconds later - even just 1 minute into the movie).
Using -of lavc -lavcopts format=mp4 in addition, results in no
sound at all thus.

Any attempt to get an audio sync results in it complaining about
"too many packets in buffer".

The only way I have been able to process (crop + rescal) the whole
video so far is with -nosound.

This seems to be a bug in mencoder. Am I on the wrong list to
get help with this?

--
Carlo Wood <carlo at alinoe.com>