[MEncoder-users] Stutter after EDL cut

Will lazylionsby at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 09:37:26 CEST 2007

> Really? Unless we're at crossed purposes due to terminology that would
> mean
> that my understanding of mpeg is fundamentally flawed (which it may well
> be
> - I've not gone deeply into it).
>
> Hmm, that makes it all the more surprising to me that there's a sync
> and/or
> seek issue. Ah well, further experimentation tonight, methinks...
>
>         /mel/

Well, maybe I'm not using the correct term which might (already) lead to
confusion, but my point is, you can cut an MPEG file at any arbitrary frame,
and that new starting frame would look just fine. Or maybe I'm wrong with
that but my experience on working with MPEG1/2 (VCD & DVD rip) files works
just like I wrote and all the starting frames looks okay even if it was not
a keyframe in the original media.

That point aside, I still think it is better to split the task of "editing"
with the task of "reencoding" of a media. It is a better work flow and would
be easier to avoid problems.