[MEncoder-users] x264 interlaced encoding won't play with Nero showtime

Johan Arvidsson johanarv at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 23:08:31 CEST 2007

Pierre Catello wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I encoded some interlaced dvb material Mencoder using the x264 codec.
> Without interlaced encoding, the resulting file plays fine in Nero showtime
> (as well as other players). But when enabling interlaced encoding, only
> Mplayer seems to work, although there is a warning about MBAFF lacking :

> [h264 @ 00C69A50]MBAFF + spatial direct mode is not implemented

I have played a little with preserving the interlacing on dv-material i
need to encode. What i have found so far was that mplayer and vlc could
deal with the files i produced. I think i tried turning of the "spatial
mode" (without bothering with finding out what it means) and then it
complained about temporal mode not implemented instead so i turned of
that also. I think the complaining disappeared but quicktime still did
not work and since I need my files to work in quicktime i just added a
deinterlacing filter and left it at that.

I still haven't managed to get files that files that consistently work
in quicktime but that's another thread :)

These guys (http://www.coreavc.com) supposedly have a decoder capable of
decoding interlaced h264 but the company does'nt really have the best
reputation judging from various forums. Might be worth checking out anyway.

> The parameters I use for Mencoder are :
>
> mencoder "$1" -endpos 120 -ovc x264 -x264encopts "crf=20:subq=4:qcomp=
> 0.75:bframes=2:nob_pyramid:weight_b:interlaced" -oac copy -o "$1".x264.avi
>
> and I'm running version:
>
> ----
> MEncoder dev-SVN-r23373-4.2.0 (C) 2000-2007 MPlayer Team
> CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3000+ (Family: 6, Model: 10, Stepping: 0)
> CPUflags: Type: 6 MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 0 SSE2: 0
> Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 3DNow 3DNowEx SSE
> ----
>
> Did I use incompatible options, or did I forget something ?

I also like to know if there is a solution to this.

/Johan