[MEncoder-users] Choppy video when changing framerate

Manuel Carro mcarro at fi.upm.es
Tue Jun 12 23:14:26 CEST 2007

>> > I assume that, to go e.g. from 25 to 20 (my current benchmark)
>> > -ofps could remove one out of each five frames.  But, when playing
>> > back, it looks as if those removals were not happening evenly, but
>> > rather in groups every second or so.  I do not think mencoder is doing
>> > that (is it?).  Any hint of what could be the problem (and the
>> > solution)?
>>
>> Either -mc 10 or -mc 0.0001 should improve things, if that is the case.
>> Also, inserting softskip might help.

Thanks for the answer.  I do not think -mc it has improved things.
The problem I describe appears even if no filter is applied, so I do
not see how softskip can be of help.  I tried it, anyway, with the
same result (choppiness).  If more information is needed, the (short
fragment) at http://babel.ls.fi.upm.es/~mcarro/t.avi is original
video, and that at http://babel.ls.fi.upm.es/~mcarro/t_20.avi come
from using the command line

mencoder t.avi -ofps 20 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vbitrate=1600 -oac mp3lame -o t_20.avi

The "small jumps" can clearly be seen in the background objects in
t_20.avi.  Any idea of how I could avoid this?

Thanks a lot in advance!

        MCL (mcarro_at_fi_dot_upm_dot_es)