[MEncoder-users] SUB: Could not determine file format

Florian Erfurth floh-erfurth at arcor.de
Wed Jun 6 22:16:52 CEST 2007

Um... I've got a problem...!

James Tripp wrote:

> mplayer "/home/floh/temp/movie.avi" -vf scale=480:256,harddup -sws 9
> -subfont-text-scale 4 -subfont-blur 1 -subfont-outline 1 -subcp cp1252
> -vobsub "/home/floh/test/movie" -slang en -ao null -vo yuv4mpeg
I said it works well... but I noticed recently the yuv-file is really huge
(I didn't know that this is a raw-format). This is not good for my
application, because not every user do have huge harddisk.

> mencoder stream.yuv -o /home/floh/temp/newmovie.avi -ovc xvid
> -xvidencopts bitrate=768:vhq=1:max_bframes=0:cartoon -nosound

A question... how do I combine the two commands above. Someone told about
fifo, but I don't have any idea about fifo. :( Ok, I'll try to learn about
fifo. But... is that a good idea? I mean, what happens if the cpu or
harddisk is too busy from mplayer & mencoder. Will some frame be dropped if
mencoder is not fast enough for mplayer and vice versa?

cu Floh
PS: Can ffmpeg add subtitle to avi? I've found '-newsubtitle' and '-scodec
codec', but the manpage doesn't tell how to handle this.