[MEncoder-users] How to encode a DVD

Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto please.no.spam.here at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 02:52:23 CEST 2007

> >And there are parts of that page that are even wrong. This for
> >example: "If your movie has 2.35:1 aspect (most recent action
> >movies), you will have to add black borders  or crop"
>
> You certainly do
> I'll link this again:
>
> http://forum.videohelp.com/topic174200.html

I now understand what DAR is. I have calculated the correct dimensions
for my movie. It is just that the
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-vcd-dvd.html webpage is
very misleading. It makes me think that I should encode my video to
720x405 (16/9 aspect ratio) and expand.

And pay attention to what the page actually says:
"crop the movie down to 16:9"
The movie is NOT being cropped down to 16:9. What will be 16/9 is the
whole image (including black borders), after the player expands the
image, if DAR=16/9.
The movie itself will be in aspect ratio
original, after expansion
(or*arr/DAR), before expansion

So it is wrong to say that the movie will be "cropped
down to 16/9".

> Why on earth would you encode a widescreen film with a 4/3 dar?
> 576x304 ->  720x460,  16/9  dar
I want to avoid upscaling. This is why I chose 704x480 resolution,
instead of 720x480. Now, for 704x480:
DAR=4/3: encoded height=338
DAR=16/9: encoded height=450
DAR=4/3 involves less vertical upscaling. AFAIK upscaling wastes bits.

> Pulldown works fine with svcd.
So with SVCD I can also use
tele_src=24000/1001:tele_dest=30000/1001 in mpegopts, just like in
DVD ?

> If you're goinf to svcd the 4/3 dar starts making sense but when did
> a dvd target change to svcd??
I think that a DVD player can also play SVCD. I will test it. If it is
true, than next time my girlfriend asks me to make her a movie I will
make a SVCD. The reason is that a don't have a DVD drive in my
computer, so I have to use other people's computer to burn the DVD.

--
Software is like sex: it is better when it is free. --Linus Torvalds