[MEncoder-users] How to encode a DVD

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Wed Jun 6 06:31:07 CEST 2007

On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 21:52:23 -0300
Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto <please.no.spam.here at gmail.com> wrote:

> And pay attention to what the page actually says:
> "crop the movie down to 16:9"

Actually it says to either expand or crop.

> The movie is NOT being cropped down to 16:9.

If the video has square pixels (which is just about the only way you're
going to find a video with a 2.35:1 aspect) then yes, you do crop or
expand to 16/9 directly.

> So with SVCD I can also use
> tele_src=24000/1001:tele_dest=30000/1001 in mpegopts, just like in
> DVD ?

Yes.

> I think that a DVD player can also play SVCD.

It varies from player to player.  Some manufacturers seem to go out of
their way to disable SVCD playback, for no reason at all.

> than next time my girlfriend asks me to make her a movie I will
> make a SVCD.

With SVCD, you're limited to a lower resolution, and CDs have a much
smaller capacity, requiring you either use rather low quality, or split
across multiple discs.