[MEncoder-users] Convert 23.976 FPS NTSC to 25 FPS PAL

Grozdan Nikolov microchip at chello.be
Sun Jul 29 11:25:53 CEST 2007

On Sunday 29 July 2007 05:01, RC wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 22:25:50 +0200
>
> Grozdan Nikolov <microchip at chello.be> wrote:
> > there is no interlacing in it, it's progressive @ 29.97 fps
>
> Well then, filmdint can't do a thing for you.
>
> Converting ~30fps progressive into 25 is going to be a mess no matter
> what you do. It just isn't divisible.  You might be able to smooth it
> out a bit with the decimate filter, but not much.
>
> Probably too advanced for you, but if anyone was really interested, you
> could get tricky and try to blur frames, which is what professional
> NTSC/PAL converters do.  Unfortunately the -vf telecine filter only
> allows one framerate, so you'd have to mux with mencoder to a MPEG
> container, setting the tele_src/tele_dest flags to soft telecine the
> 30fps video to 50fps.  Then encoding from the soft telecined MPEG you
> could use -vf softpulldown to convert the flags to hard telecine, and
> either try deinterlacing (which will blur the fields) with either pp=lb
> or perhaps yadif, OR just leave it interlaced.  In either case, halving
> the framerate to 25fps as the final step in the process.  I haven't a
> clue how good that will look (no PAL TV to test with) but it's worth a
> shot. Making video look better than just dropping whole frames isn't a
> big challenge.

Wow, I didn't knew it will be such a hard procedure to convert a video from
~30 fps to 25 fps. I thought that it will be just a combination of a few
filters which do the whole thing for you... Anyway, is there a easy way to
get it down to 23.976 fps? Can I use the pullup+softskip filters for this
with -ofps 24000/1001 ?