[MEncoder-users] Convert 23.976 FPS NTSC to 25 FPS PAL

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 05:01:58 CEST 2007

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 22:25:50 +0200
Grozdan Nikolov <microchip at chello.be> wrote:

> there is no interlacing in it, it's progressive @ 29.97 fps

Well then, filmdint can't do a thing for you.

Converting ~30fps progressive into 25 is going to be a mess no matter
what you do. It just isn't divisible.  You might be able to smooth it
out a bit with the decimate filter, but not much.

Probably too advanced for you, but if anyone was really interested, you
could get tricky and try to blur frames, which is what professional
NTSC/PAL converters do.  Unfortunately the -vf telecine filter only
allows one framerate, so you'd have to mux with mencoder to a MPEG
container, setting the tele_src/tele_dest flags to soft telecine the
30fps video to 50fps.  Then encoding from the soft telecined MPEG you
could use -vf softpulldown to convert the flags to hard telecine, and
either try deinterlacing (which will blur the fields) with either pp=lb
or perhaps yadif, OR just leave it interlaced.  In either case, halving
the framerate to 25fps as the final step in the process.  I haven't a
clue how good that will look (no PAL TV to test with) but it's worth a
shot. Making video look better than just dropping whole frames isn't a
big challenge.

> From here, or did I understood this wrong?
>
> io=<ifps>:<ofps>
>  For each ifps input frames the filter will output ofps frames. The
>  ratio of
> ifps/ofps should match the -fps/-ofps ratio. This could be used to
> filter  movies that are broadcast on TV at a frame rate different from
> their original  framerate.
>
> This is related to the filmdint filter

If you want PAL, it has to be output at 25fps.  No fractions, nothing.
It doesn't matter what else you do with it.