[MEncoder-users] audio from a named pipe

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Sun Feb 25 12:56:35 CET 2007

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 22:37:56 +1100
Trejkaz <trejkaz at trypticon.org> wrote:

>     mplayer $MPLAYER_OPTS -ao pcm:file=audio -vo yuv4mpeg:file=video
>     in.mkv & mencoder video -audiofile audio -ovc xvid -xvidencopts
>     pass=1 \
>         -oac mp3lame -o out.avi
>
> When I run this, I get all the initial output for both applications
> but the  playing/encoding never begins.  By omitting the audio I did
> manage to confirm  that it was the audio which causes the problem.

The audio doesn't cause the problem...  The video doesn't cause the
problem.  Both of them together do.  Mencoder needs to read further
ahead in one than the other, but MPlayer blocks until both are read.

The only fix is to use two seperate instances of mplayer, one just
writing audio to a pipe, and the other just writing video to a
pipe.