[MEncoder-users] audio from a named pipe

Trejkaz trejkaz at trypticon.org
Sun Feb 25 12:37:56 CET 2007

Hi all.

To avoid dumping the raw video to disk, I've been trying to use named pipes so
that I don't need to store all the data.  I figure I should be able to get
the same to work for the audio track but I'm having some issues.

(For these commands to work you'd first need to: mkfifo audio; mkfifo video)

These commands work fine by omitting the audio stream:

    mplayer $MPLAYER_OPTS -ao null -vo yuv4mpeg:file=video in.mkv &
    mencoder video -ovc xvid -xvidencopts pass=1 -oac mp3lame -o out.avi

(Yes, the -oac line was in there... I constructed these commands by removing
bits from the ones below, and forgot to remove it.  Still works though.)

Attempting to add on the audio stream gives:

    mplayer $MPLAYER_OPTS -ao pcm:file=audio -vo yuv4mpeg:file=video in.mkv &
    mencoder video -audiofile audio -ovc xvid -xvidencopts pass=1 \
        -oac mp3lame -o out.avi

When I run this, I get all the initial output for both applications but the
playing/encoding never begins.  By omitting the audio I did manage to confirm
that it was the audio which causes the problem.  I have also tried to cat
audio and pipe that to mencoder on stdin, but that gives the same result.
That seems to suggest that it's the mplayer end causing the issue but I'm not
certain either way.

Any ideas?

TX

             Email: trejkaz at trypticon.org