[MEncoder-users] Output file's size limit

Giacomo Comes comes at naic.edu
Wed Feb 21 16:21:47 CET 2007

On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 07:13:18AM -0800, Mike Lee Toris wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to generate correct and quality VOB files from various
> sources. It works fine. MEncoder is very powerful. The VOB are
> correctly encoded.
>
> But, in order to have these VOBs on Video DVD, VOB files should not
> be larger than 1.048.544 kbytes.
>
> There are some tools to cut into muxed mpeg2 files. But I was
> wondering if there is an option into MEncoder (that I have not yet
> discovered!) to perform this cutting. The trick would be to give a
> file size option, and MEncoder would create numbered files at the
> given size until there's no more to encode.
>
> I read some posts about EDL, but I'm not quite sure that it would be
> the correct and best way. In my mind, MEncoder is the best to know
> where it can cut the files, especialy if a file size is given.
>
> Any clue?

You can generate correct vob files to be burned on dvd only with dvdauthor.

The necessary chain of commands is:

mencoder -> dvdauthor -> growisofs

Each of them need to be executed with the appropriate options necessary to
accomplish your task. Consult the documentation and look on the web for working
examples.

Ciao
Giacomo