[MEncoder-users] Output file's size limit

Mike Lee Toris mikeleetoris at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 21 16:13:18 CET 2007

Hi,

I'm trying to generate correct and quality VOB files from various
sources. It works fine. MEncoder is very powerful. The VOB are
correctly encoded.

But, in order to have these VOBs on Video DVD, VOB files should not
be larger than 1.048.544 kbytes.

There are some tools to cut into muxed mpeg2 files. But I was
wondering if there is an option into MEncoder (that I have not yet
discovered!) to perform this cutting. The trick would be to give a
file size option, and MEncoder would create numbered files at the
given size until there's no more to encode.

I read some posts about EDL, but I'm not quite sure that it would be
the correct and best way. In my mind, MEncoder is the best to know
where it can cut the files, especialy if a file size is given.

Any clue?
Thx a lot.
Mikee