[MEncoder-users] Bug: Mono show 2 channels????

Mike Hodson mystica at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 04:57:40 CET 2007

On 2/17/07, GeBu <gebu at seznam.cz> wrote:
> Hi,
> I encoded video from DV camera, which I cut and export by KDEnlive. I
> use this mencoder script (on Debian Etch):
..deleted..

> I have  -lameopts cbr:br=64:mode=3:aq=0, but when I play output video in
> mplayer it shows me: 2 channel. In VLC it shows 1 channel
> What is wrong?
>
> Jirka (GeBu)

The developers may have to correct me on this, but my hunch is that
mplayer always initializes both right and left channels of output so
as to support weird codecs such as eAAC+ (AAC + Spectral Band
Replication (making the high frequencies) and Parametric Stereo
(making stereo based on the pitch of the sound).  I say this, because
eAAC+ encoding cannot be found out without decoding at the very least
1 frame of audio; thats why if you have ever tuned into a 24k AAC+
shoutcast with mplayer, it sounds mono / crappy for about half a
second, then bursts into stereo with higher frequency sound.  The
player has no idea until that 1 frame is decoded whether or not the
signal is stereo or mono, so mplayer by default prepares for stereo.

Mike