[MEncoder-users] h264 muxed into avi

john terragon terragonjohn at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 15 17:06:29 CET 2007

Hi

I read somewhere that some features of h264 are not
supported by the avi container (for example b-frames)
and that using mencoder to create avi with a h264
video track would make those videos readable only with
mplayer. I am not sure I understand what this means:

-Does it mean that the unsupported features of the
h264
 track (like the b-frames) are still there but can
only
 be correctly interpreted by mplayer (and therefore
 that I could hypothetically extract the h264 video
 from the avi container, put it into an mp4 contained,

 with mp4box for example, and use all the features
with
 other players too)?

-or does it means that if I use h264 features when
encoding with x264 they will be somehow lost (or
disabled) when the video is muxed into the avi
container?

Thanks

John