[MEncoder-users] [MPlayer-users] how to create thumbnail using mplayer?

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Thu Feb 15 14:22:08 CET 2007

totob at libero.it wrote:

> The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> This is not done with MEncoder, but with MPlayer: mplayer -vo jpeg
>> -frames 1 -ss <offset which gets you to the >appropriate point in
>> the video>
>
> Thank you! It works but even changing the value of -ss option it
> always takes first frame.

Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot about that. For reasons which are beyond me and
may constitute a bug (but if so, it's a longstanding one), the first
frame dumped will always be the first frame of the video. You want
'-frames 2', and then take the second frame produced.

> How can i calculate the offset if, for example, Id like to take the
> one frame of the third second of movie?

Well, as reading the man page would tell you, '-ss' is "seek to second",
so '-ss 3' will get you to the third second. However, the chances of
your file having the necessary keyframes for seeking at that small a
boundary are quite slim, so you probably will not be able to seek quite
that precisely; see the second paragraph of my previous reply.

Also: please do not break threading. Your most recent reply appeared as
the start of a new thread (still in MEncoder-users, since the To address
was still the same), rather than as a reply in your existing thread.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.