[MEncoder-users] Re: Producing .mp4 files?

Stephen Norum stephen at mybunnyhug.org
Wed Feb 14 23:33:26 CET 2007

On Feb 14, 2007, at 2:17 PM, Kevin Downey wrote:

> On 2/14/07, Jon Drukman <jsd at cluttered.com> wrote:
>> Serhiy Tkachenko wrote:
>> > Is it possible to produce Apple quicktime .mp4 files
>> > with mencoder ?
>>
>> I have not been able to make it work with mencoder alone.  I use
>> mencoder to generate h.264 video, ffmpeg to generate aac audio, and
>> mp4creator to mux the two streams into a .mp4 that will play in
>> Quicktime.  Search the archives for my other posts regarding this.
>>
>> -jsd-
>
> mencoder will do aac too.
> I use mencoder to encode both and just mux to avi then demux to two
> separate files foo.h264 and foo.aac.
> I use mencoder to demux the video and ffmpeg to demux the audio. I
> would like to use mencoder for both but I haven't found a method to
> demux the audio that isn't real time.
> Then mp4creator to mux to mp4.

I also use mencoder to create an avi that is split by mencoder and
muxed to an mp4 with mp4creator.  To dump the audio, I use:
mplayer input.avi -dumpaudio -dumpfile audio.aac

Which should dump the audio faster than real time.  Likewise, I use:
mplayer input.avi -dumpvideo -dumpfile blah.h264

for the video.

Stephen