[MEncoder-users] easy way to display subtitles for scenes?

Michael Weishaar michael.weishaar at cox.net
Thu Feb 8 23:00:53 CET 2007

I have been using mencoder to transfer some of my DVDs to divx files.  But
for some movies, there are parts of the movie where they speak another
language.  When playing the DVD in a player, there are English subtitles
displayed during those scenes.

Is there an easy way to do this using mencoder?  I am sure I could extract
the subtitles and go through a complicated process to get it to work, but
I'd love it if someone could tell me a simpler way.

Here is the command I usually use:
mencoder dvd://1 -af volnorm  -srate 22050 -oac mp3lame -lameopts
cbr:br=128 -noodml -vf scale=360:240,eq2=1.0:1.0:0.03:1.0 -sws 9 -ovc
lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:vmax_b_frames=0:vbitrate=863 -ffourcc DX50
-o outfile.avi

I used to use dvdrip, but that process (using transcode) seemed to take a
while and didn't work for some DVDs.  Then I was just ripping it, and
using mencoder directly on the vob.  Then I found the above command, and
have been VERY happy with it.

-Michael