[MEncoder-users] Encoding with x264 Jittery Result

R.L. Horn lists at eastcheap.org
Sat Dec 29 21:57:29 CET 2007

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007, Reuben Budiardja wrote:

> I am trying to use mencoder to encode VOB files with x264 codec. I'm
> trying to get high quality encode with 1500 kbps target bitrate and
> two-pass encoding. The following is what I use:
>
> mencoder CH_2.vob  -ovc x264 -x264encopts
> subq=4:bframes=3:b_pyramid:weight_b:pass=1:psnr:bitrate=1500 -nosound -of
> rawvideo -o  test.264
>
> mencoder CH_2.vob -ovc x264 -x264encopts
> subq=6:partitions=all:8x8dct:me=umh:frameref=5:bframes=3:b_pyramid:
> weight_b:pass=2:psnr:bitrate=1500
> -nosound -of rawvideo -o test.264

> The result is a very jittery movie. I checked that after the first pass the
> result is still OK, but after the second pass it's very jittery.

I just tried it and didn't see anything unusual (1.0rc1 mencoder built
against SVN revision 636 x264).

So far as I know, with those options, mencoder merely passes I420 frames
to the encoder (after setting the encoding options, of course) and writes
the output directly to disk.  I should think, then, that any problems
encountered would be with libx264.  Do you know which version your
mencoder was built against?