[MEncoder-users] MEncoder-users Digest, Vol 40, Issue 24

Grozdan Nikolov microchip at telenet.be
Sat Dec 22 14:17:56 CET 2007

On Saturday 22 December 2007 14:12, David Portabella Clotet wrote:
> >> I have a video of 5 min, and I would need to cut it, from 01:00 to
> >> 03:00. How can I do this with mencoder?
> >
> > man mplayer
> > /-ss
>
> Great!
>
> With -ss I can specify the start position,
> and with "-vo mpegpes" I can save the video to a file:
>
> mplayer -ss 00:01:00 -vo mpegpes  SANY0001.MP4
>
> so, this allows me to cut the beginning of a video.
>
> let's say that I need from 01:00 to 03:00.
> how to cut the end of the video?

with the -endpos switch

-endpos <[[hh:]mm:]ss[.ms]|size[b|kb|mb]> (also see -ss and -sb)
 Stop at given time or byte position.
 NOTE: Byte position is enabled only for MEncoder and will not be accurate, as
it can only stop at a frame boundary. When used in conjunction with -ss
option, -endpos time will shift forward by seconds specified with -ss.

 EXAMPLE:
-endpos 56
 Stop at 56 seconds.
-endpos 01:10:00