[MEncoder-users] lavc or xvid

Alex Samad alex at samad.com.au
Tue Aug 28 08:37:40 CEST 2007

On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 10:20:28PM -0700, RC wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 07:15:37 +1000
> Alex Samad <alex at samad.com.au> wrote:
>
> > would i be better off cutting back the options and trying with the
> > basic one like
>
> Yes, that's the way to start.  Also, I would leave out hqdn3d.  It can
> cause blockiness, and nr generally works better and faster.

I have cut it down to

vcodec=mpeg4:threads=2:aspect=16/9:mbd=2:mv0:trell:v4mv:vbitrate=$VBITRATE

this is in my man page, seems to suggest to maybe go with hqdn3d

nr=<0-100000>
			  Noise  reduction,  0  means disabled.  0-600 is a useful range
for typical content, but you may want to turn it up a bit more
			  for very noisy content (default: 0).  Given its small impact on
speed, you might want to prefer to use  this  over  filtering
			  noise away with video filters like denoise3d or hqdn3d.