[MEncoder-users] lavc or xvid

Alex Samad alex at samad.com.au
Sun Aug 26 00:03:28 CEST 2007

On Sat, Aug 25, 2007 at 02:03:14PM +0200, Nicolas George wrote:
> L'octidi 8 fructidor, an CCXV, Alex Samad a écrit :
> > I have recently purchase a video camcorder, which records mpeg2 files.  I
> > am running through some tests between xvid and the lavc encoders.  They
> > xvid seems to produce smaller end files.
> >
> > as I am new to encoding/mencoder I thought I would ask the list.  What are
> > the main difference between the 2.
> >
> > Whilst doing a bit of research I also came across x264, found a codec head
> > off report at doom9, but did not actually make too much out of it.
>
> (Shameless plug.)
>
> You may want to have a look at the following past thread on this mailing
> list:
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.mencoder.user/5402

good read, nice work. I don't think I am going to do that much.

A question you might be able to answer   what is par=pal169 used for in
comparison to aspect=16:9

the video camera supposedly records at 16:9, but doesn't tag the stream with
that, I have placed aspect=16/9 so that it comes out right, but should I be
using par=pal169