[MEncoder-users] Clarifications for ./configure --help

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Mon Aug 6 18:17:40 CEST 2007

Hi,

I know it's not the ultimate reference, but I think ./configure --help
could use some clarifications. I stumbled across these while trying to
build. Actually, I successfully built my mplayer/mencoder, and wouldn't
have noticed, if smplayer hadn't failed(!) due to missing support for
FT command options in my binary:

a)
  --with-glib-config=PATH
    is only required if building with --enable-gui (you could think
    differently, because glib is the non-GUI set of functions)
  --with-gtk-config=PATH
    is quite obviously  only required if building with --enable-gui.

b)
  --with-freetype-config=PATH path to freetype-config
  --with-fribidi-config=PATH  path to fribidi-config
  --with-glib-config=PATH     path to glib*-config
  --with-gtk-config=PATH      path to gtk*-config

  The word "path" is misleading. I read it to mean only the directory
  part of the binary's full path, but the binary's full path is meant.
  I.e. /opt/GNU/freetype/2.3.4/bin
  -> /opt/GNU/freetype/2.3.4/bin/freetype-config

Perhaps the configure script could be slightly modified to clarify
this.

Thanks,
Moritz

P.S.: Okay, most of those feature are regarding mplayer, not mencoder,
      but, hey, aren't they twins? :) And would I know from running
      ./configure?