[MEncoder-users] How does one interlace progressive content?

Grozdan Nikolov microchip at chello.be
Sat Aug 4 21:32:28 CEST 2007

Hi,

I'm trying to learn here the interlacing procedure along with the mencoder
filters and I have a question about the tinterlace filter.

I have a 25fps progressive PAL DVD and I want to make it interlaced during
encoding. Do I have to only add the tinterlace=4 filter to the filter chain
or do I also have to provide a -ofps value?

I just did a small test with -vf tinterlace=4 on the progressive 25fps PAL DVD
and during encoding I see that mencoder prints a huge amount of "duplicate
frames". However, when playing the interlaced encode, everything looks fine.
I can see the interlacing and there are no A/V issues.

Also, is the above procedure the same if you want to interlace a 23.976fps
progressive NTSC content? what about 29.97fps progressive content?