[MEncoder-users] Mencoder does not sort joeg images !?

Kevin Williams kevkim55 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 04:17:15 CEST 2007

I've 1000's of jpeg images taken by my webcam's Time Lapse Video feature. Now,
I want to stitch these into an AVI video.

I'm using mencoder to get this done and this is the command I use:

mencoder "mf://*.jpg" -mf type=jpeg:fps=10 -o /Movies/image-video2.avi -ovc
xvid -xvidencopts bitrate=200

The images are named with numbers starting with 1 i.e. 1.jpg, 2.jpg.... and so
on and so forth, numbered in chronological order with the firstmost/oldest
image being named 1.jpg. I expected mencoder to sort the filenames in
ascending order and start with the lowermost number i.e. 1.jpg. Looks like it
doesn't happen this way. When I play the encoded movie, I can tell that these
images were not sorted as each of the image has date and time printed on the
lower right corner and this keeps changing in randomly.

How do I get mencoder to sort the filenames or how can I specify a file that
contains the list of files sorted in the desired order ?

Surely, there's got to be some logic in this. There's no point in picking up
images in a random fashion and feeding it to the encoder to create a movie
which when played look all garbled up ! There's got to be some way to tell
mencoder to feed the images in a specific order. Is there ?

Sorry, if I didn't make much sense, I just had 4 beers after spending hours
trying to get the movie made !! ;-)  There just don't seem to be a suitable
utility to achieve this... !

Thanks for any help.

Kevin