[MEncoder-users] Create standard MPEG PS with MPEG 1 video and MP2 audio

Nico Sabbi nicola_sabbi at fastwebnet.it
Tue Apr 10 23:50:09 CEST 2007

DEF wrote:

> Please just a question of curiosity:
> In your orginal message on April 22 2006 when you gave
> us the new mpeg muxer in the cvs (back then) the
> following appeared.
>

>>strongly advised:
>>- when encoding video (e.g. without -ovc copy)
>>_always_ use -vf softskip
>>(btw, I have and had a lot of problems with harddup,
>>so I don't use
>>it);
>

>>- using -ofps is generally quite bad (with the old
>>muxer, too), better
>>use -speed newfr/oldfr
>>(eventually resampling audio)
>

> However, given that it was never added to the manual
> (doc), it is almost never followed. Do you still
> advice that as of now?
>
> DEF

sorry for the late reply, I missed the post.
At the time I didn't realize that the use of -vf softskip
just moves the frameskip step in a different position in the
filter chain (I thought it was needed to enable it),
so don't be afraid to use it when it's necessary.

Remains the fact muxing with -ovc copy in some situations
can lead to the weirdest effects (such as skipping keyframes,
that mencoder can't tell from non-keyframes).

BTW, I've spent a large portion of the week-end trying to make
the output of muxer_mpeg compatible with a plain install of WMP,
but although I fixed a couple of bugs that delayed the startup
of the playing, I still haven't succeeded to make wimp recognize
the audio track.
I'll give it one more look when I'm in the right mood.