[MEncoder-users] Tutorial?

Phil Ehrens phil at slug.org
Mon Sep 25 18:16:06 CEST 2006

Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My question may seem somewhat heretic, but I insist there is no troll
> intended. It is straightforward: is there any *comprehensive* tutorial
> about converting a DVD to DivX with MEncoder? Sort of a receipt that
> just works? I feel like someone who's been asking for a cooking receipt
> and having various pointers for courses about alimentary biochemistry as
> answers.

You need to realise that what you are asking for is a recipe
for California Roll. I can show you in 3 hours how to make
really crappy California Roll. If you expect to make California
Roll that you can serve to people who have eaten sushi before
then you are going to have to sweat over it for a while.

Before you can happily go and convert some arbitrary dvd to divx
you need to learn what a dvd is and what divx is. You can follow
any one of the many HOWTO's out there, and it *might* work with
your dvd... Or it might fail utterly. Video is not as simple as
you think. I have been doing one particular kind of conversion
for 3 years now, and I still need to sit down and do some tests
before I can let my script fly merrily along overnight.

PLEASE, read the docs. Then try following the instructions in the
docs. The better you are at following instructions the better your
initial results will be. And your results will improve dramatically
as you practice and begin to understand what that thing is that
everybody knowingly and offhandedly calls a "dvd".