[MEncoder-users] (addendum to) -oac copy when making a dvdrip introduces noticible 1-2-frame audio lag

Mike Hodson mystica at gmail.com
Sat Sep 16 09:55:24 CEST 2006

I should also point out, that I was not the one encoding this video
first off, however, I always have experienced this issue, even as far
back as 1.0.pre7. The version used to make the video in question was
dev-SVN-r18972-3.4.6. The audio was guaranteed copied using -oac copy,
as its 5.1 ac3, (and i know nobody who is willing to spend extra cpu
cycles reencoding the audio to the exact same format/channels/bitrate)

I am trying to re-encode this mencoded xvid into a dvd-profile mpeg2
and I am using this commandline:

mencoder -oac copy -ovc lavc -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd:telecine
-vf scale=720:480,harddup -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg2video:vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_maxrate=9800:vbitrate=1500:keyint=18:aspect=16/9:vpass=2
 -ofps 24000/1001 -o bluecollar2.mpg joined.avi

and the encode process seems to notice the 200 or 156ms delays:

Writing header...
INITV: 0.200, 0.158, fps: 23.976

id be willing to assume that either the 0.200 the 0.158 is the
delay(in milliseconds) that is being added to the audio, when it
-should not be-

How can I fix this?