[MEncoder-users] Mencoder Help Please (2-pass encoding)

Fredrik Eriksson feffese at yahoo.se
Tue Sep 12 20:19:52 CEST 2006

On 12-09-2006, at 19:21, Andrei Verovski (aka MacGuru) wrote:

> Hi,

Hello.

> Having digged net for a second day I am still having trouble
> converting a
> bunch of QuickTime *.mov, DIVX and XViD  files into H264 (with
> mencoder) with
> AAC audio (prefereably with 2-pass encoding), with no scaling/crop.
> The reason I am went into command line is that Mac GUI front-ends
> like ffmpegX
> and VisualHub too often produce jerky video (DiVX -> H264
> conversion), files
> with video which QuickTime Player do not recognize (VLC does), or
> sometimes
> even complete hung-up (converting from QuickTime).
> Additionally, 2-pass encoding is quite slow, so I would like to use
> Linux
> server which works 24/7 for this task.
>
> Anyone please could help?
>
> I am trying to use one-line script for one-pass encoding:
> mencoder -oac faac -ovc x264 $1 -o $1.mp4
>
> However, it produces no sound and throws message:
> WARNING: OUTPUT FILE FORMAT IS _AVI_. See -of help.

Did you check -of help? you made a avi file with mp4 extension, try -
of lavf.
also, you may have to set bitrate for faac encoding (see man page)

> mencoder -oac copy -ovc x264 $1 -o $1.mp4
> generates valid video file but sound track is being directly copied
> and remain
> mp3

valid _AVI_ file, not mp4.

> 2-PASS ENCODING - SEGMENTATION FAULT
>
> Having run this commands, I've got segmentation fault problem
> mencoder -nosound -ovc x264 -x264encopts pass=1:8x8dct:i8x8 $1 -o
> $1.mp4
> mencoder -oac copy -ovc x264 -x264encopts
> pass=2:bitrate=1200:8x8dct:i8x8
> $1 -o $1.mp4
>
> x264 [warning]: Error: 2pass curve failed to converge
> x264 [warning]: target: 1000.00 kbit/s, expected: 449.69 kbit/s,
> avg QP:
> 10.0008
> x264 [warning]: try reducing target bitrate or reducing qp_min
> (currently 10)
> x264 [info]: using cpu capabilities MMX MMXEXT SSE 3DNow!
> Segmentation fault
>
> However, adjusting bitrate or lowering qp still produced
> segmentation fault.
>
> What's wrong ???

you probably need to set the same bitrate for both first and second
pass.

> I have SuSE 10.1
> MPlayer-1.0pre8-8.pm.svn20060811
> ffmpeg-0.4.9-7.pm.svn20060817
> x264-0.0svn20060728-1

> Anyone could suggest a workable solution (if you have solution with
> ffmpeg,
> its OK, too)?

in general: read the man page, and documentation.

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Andrei

you're welcome

Fredrik