[MEncoder-users] Mencoder Help Please (2-pass encoding)

Andrei Verovski (aka MacGuru) andreil1 at starlett.lv
Tue Sep 12 19:21:34 CEST 2006

Hi,

Having digged net for a second day I am still having trouble converting a
bunch of QuickTime *.mov, DIVX and XViD  files into H264 (with mencoder) with
AAC audio (prefereably with 2-pass encoding), with no scaling/crop.
The reason I am went into command line is that Mac GUI front-ends like ffmpegX
and VisualHub too often produce jerky video (DiVX -> H264 conversion), files
with video which QuickTime Player do not recognize (VLC does), or sometimes
even complete hung-up (converting from QuickTime).
Additionally, 2-pass encoding is quite slow, so I would like to use Linux
server which works 24/7 for this task.

Anyone please could help?

I am trying to use one-line script for one-pass encoding:
mencoder -oac faac -ovc x264 $1 -o $1.mp4

However, it produces no sound and throws message:
WARNING: OUTPUT FILE FORMAT IS _AVI_. See -of help.

mencoder -oac copy -ovc x264 $1 -o $1.mp4
generates valid video file but sound track is being directly copied and remain
mp3

2-PASS ENCODING - SEGMENTATION FAULT

Having run this commands, I've got segmentation fault problem
mencoder -nosound -ovc x264 -x264encopts pass=1:8x8dct:i8x8 $1 -o $1.mp4
mencoder -oac copy -ovc x264 -x264encopts pass=2:bitrate=1200:8x8dct:i8x8
$1 -o $1.mp4

x264 [warning]: Error: 2pass curve failed to converge
x264 [warning]: target: 1000.00 kbit/s, expected: 449.69 kbit/s, avg QP:
10.0008
x264 [warning]: try reducing target bitrate or reducing qp_min (currently 10)
x264 [info]: using cpu capabilities MMX MMXEXT SSE 3DNow!
Segmentation fault

However, adjusting bitrate or lowering qp still produced segmentation fault.

What's wrong ???

I have SuSE 10.1
MPlayer-1.0pre8-8.pm.svn20060811
ffmpeg-0.4.9-7.pm.svn20060817
x264-0.0svn20060728-1

Anyone could suggest a workable solution (if you have solution with ffmpeg,
its OK, too)?

Thanks in advance.

Andrei