[MEncoder-users] Encoding video for old DVD players

Staffan Hamala sh at ltu.se
Fri Sep 1 11:45:30 CEST 2006

Hi,

I have a problem with encoding video so that older DVD players will play it
correctly.

I have used commands similar to these:

mencoder -oac lavc -ovc lavc -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd -vf
scale=720:576,harddup -srate 48000 -af lavcresample=48000 -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg2video:vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_maxrate=8000:vbitrate=5000:keyint=15:acodec=ac3:abitrate=224:aspect=4/3 -ofps
25 -o out.mpeg2 in.avi

mencoder -oac lavc -ovc lavc -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd -vf
scale=352:288,harddup -srate 48000 -af lavcresample=48000 -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg2video:vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_maxrate=7800:vbitrate=4000:keyint=15:acodec=ac3:abitrate=224:aspect=4/3 -ofps
25 -o out.mpeg2 in.avi

These are taken from the mplayer manual (on the web). I've tried to lower the
maxrate, and vbitrate, but it made no difference. I've also tried different
abitrates.

The encoded videos work perfectly in mplayer.

After making a DVD disk structure with dvdauthor, and burning the DVD, I can
use both xine and mplayer to watch it without a problem.
I've also tried the DVD's on a modern stand-alone DVD player, and there
everything looked as it should.

The problem is this:
On my DVD player (Pioneer DV626), the picture quality is really bad. The
picture gets blocky at scene changes and when something moves rapidly on the
screen. It also seems like everytime this happens, the video starts lagging
behind the audio, more and more. Not noticeable at first, but after a while
it starts to get annoying.

I've also tried burning a few ISO's from copied DVD's and these all work
perfectly.

So, there must be something in the mpeg stream that my DVD player doesn't
like.

Can it be "b frames" or something? Or are there "b frames" in mpeg2?

Thanks,
Staffan