[MEncoder-users] avi cut with mencoder not playable by mplayer

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Fri Sep 1 05:49:13 CEST 2006

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 16:34:24 +0200
Christian Obst <christian_obst at gmx.de> wrote:

> I have made a sample that shows the same problem, but is only 11 MB.
> Unfortunately, I have no place to upload.

As listed in the docs:
ftp://mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/incoming

> I just don't understand why mplayer doesn't play anything that has
> only been generated and processed with mencoder, with no special
> options.

Mencoder didn't generate it...  The video and audio was taken directly
from your DVB card, and just copied by mencoder.  If you did encode it
with mencoder, I expect you'd see better results.

MPEG-1/2 in an AVI is simply nonstandard, and results in many different
issues in mplayer and other programs, such as the one you've come
across. If you'd write it to an MPEG container instead, you wouldn't
have any issues, and it would be more widely compatible.

In fact, even if you can't play it, I believe you can still re-mux it
into an MPEG container using mencoder.