[MEncoder-users] Decoding h.264 issues

Lukas Österreicher lukas.oesterreicher at inode.at
Tue Oct 31 14:37:29 CET 2006

>> Is there a way to tell mencoder to use another direct show decoder
>> such as one of the mentioned ones,

> For encoding?  No.

> For decoding, run "mplayer -ac help" and look through the output to find
> an appropriate codec.

I want to specify one for decoding.

You probably meant mplayer -vc help?
Why is it btw that i wont get a list when typing mencoder -vc help?

However the only two that I found that indicate to decode h.264
are ffh264 and vssh264, where the first is the default with the
mentioned result in earlier posts and the second not working at all.

Can I add more codecs to the list?
It appears to be configured through codecs.conf.

What are requirements for codecs that are added in codecs.conf?
Are they decoders or encoders or both?

Lukas