[MEncoder-users] Encoding to FLV from WMV is HORRID

Stefan Neufeind mencoder at stefan-neufeind.de
Thu Oct 19 01:56:27 CEST 2006

RC wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 16:38:34 +0000
> "Musixz Man" <musixz at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> MPG, MOV, and AVI all convert to FLV beautifully!
>>
>> But, when encoding to FLV from WMV (7,8), the result is horrible to
>> say the  least. And this is regardless of the bitrate I set.
>
> WMV is variable frame-rate.  You have to find the proper framerate (I
> hear ffmpeg outputs the proper rate), and set it with -ofps, otherwise
> mencoder uses 1000fps.
>
> I've repeated this numerous times on these lists already.

I've been using -ofps 15 or -ofps 25 on some videos. A change between
both didn't seem to affect much (filesize, quality, dis-aligment between
video and audio, ...). Is there a generally recommended setting/procedure?

You said that ffmpeg outputs a proper rate. With which command? Would I
then use mencoder with that ofps and get the "best possible" framerate?
Does that work/make sense for other formats as well? My problem is that
I need to transcode a large variety of formats to FLV and have one
common commandline.
And if I find a proper rate with ffmpeg: What's the advantage/difference
instead of using ffmpeg completely? I thought that mencoder with it's
win32-codec-support supports more formats than ffmpeg does etc.

  Stefan