[MEncoder-users] Re: Splitting the man page

Xi Chen xichen71 at 163.com
Fri Oct 6 20:11:19 CEST 2006

Ivo wrote:
> On Thursday 28 September 2006 19:19, Nicolas George wrote:
>
>> Le septidi 7 vendémiaire, an CCXV, Rich Felker a écrit :
>>
>>> This has come up many times before and I'm STRONGLY against splitting
>>> the man page. Having it all in one file makes it trivial to find
>>> anything you want with the / key. Multiple files means you have to go
>>> back and forth between multiple man commands. The only people who
>>> benefit from splitting it are people too stupid to learn to use their
>>> pager...
>>>
> [..]
>
>> About huge man pages, I would suggest to take a look at one that beats
>> mplayer's on a 3-to-1 basis: zsh. There is a thematic split (builtins,
>> expansion, modules, etc.), and a zshall man page that includes them all,
>> to allow global searching. I can tell it is really practical.

Maybe it should be included as part of mplayer so we can view the man
page with choice of subjects by issuing

mplayer -help lavc=yes:faac=no:xvid=verbose

Just kidding :-)

On the other hand, I think the mplayer manpages are excellent. I prefer
the current long version. I dont think it is that long. I can find
everything by searching with /. Now that ffmpeg developers can no longer
bother documenting their programs, Mplayer manpage is the only place
where I find out everything about lavc options.