[MEncoder-users] New quality problem with low contrast images

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sun Oct 1 13:46:18 CEST 2006

Hi

On Sat, Sep 30, 2006 at 07:44:41PM +0200, Pepe wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm having again a problem to get a quality image. I recorded a movie with my
> dvd-recorder from a satellite channel.
>
> Now I'm trying to pass to divx. I'm having problems with some scenes. Scenes
> well illuminated (outside, with sun) look very good. But the movie has a lot
> of scenes with very low light. They are dark but not very dark, maybe they
> have low contrast.
>
> The problem is that those scenes look very bad in my xvid, a lot of blocks,
> very annoying. In the original video, image looks much better.
>
> This is the command I used:
>
> mencoder -noodml -o temp/video2.avi \
>   -oac mp3lame -lameopts vol=0:mode=3:cbr:br=64 \
>   -ovc xvid \
>   -xvidencopts
> bitrate=1200:nointerlacing:nopacked:pass=2:max_iquant=15:max_pquant=15:max_bquant=15:max_bframes=0
> \
>   -vf-add crop=688:560:20:8 \
>   -vf-add pp=l5 \
>   -vf-add scale=576:432 -zoom \
>   -vf-add harddup \
>   -force-avi-aspect 4:3 \
>   -sws 9   \
>   temp/video.avi
>
> I tried everything. I used max_iquant=4:max_pquant=4. I tried different values
> for -sws, also tried yadif instead of l5. I raised the bitrate up to 4000. I
> used b-frames. I used libavcodec instead of xvid. But nothing improved the
> quality, it always remained the same. Removing the filters (crop,
> deinterlace, scale) may improve a little bit, but there's still very visible
> blocks. And anyway I don't want to make a video with such a high resolution
> (720x576) because I would need a bigger bitrate.
>
> I also tried quant_type=mpeg. With that option the image is very different,
> the blocks are smaller but there are even more, all over the whole image
> and are even more annoying.
>
> If I use hqdn3d after the other filters, yes it removes most of the blocks,
> but image loses a lot of details.
>
> Any idea of how to improve the image?

with libavcodec vqmin=1 lmin=1 and a sufficiently high bitrate should make
all blocks dissapear
alternatively cmp=10 subcmp=10 mbcmp=10 might also help (try various values
for nssew)

and of course dont forget v4mv mbd=2 trell ...

and using -vf spp or -vf noise when viewing the final video will also
remove all blocks pretty effectively or change the gamma of your
monitor/grafix card
(and dont use a TFT based one if you can, TFTs suck for displaying
dark colors correctly)

[...]