[MEncoder-users] [SOLVED] Green boxes on non-computer DVD player

Giacomo Comes comes at naic.edu
Mon Nov 27 01:52:24 CET 2006

On Sun, Nov 26, 2006 at 07:12:08PM +0200, Eli Billauer wrote:
> Giacomo Comes wrote:
>
> >Just curious. Have you tryed vstrict=0?
> >It was the default up to pre7 and in the past
> >there were no complains about green boxes that I remember.
> >

> I tried it now. And here are my findings:
>
> vstrict not mentioned in options => Green boxes
> vstrict=0: No green boxes (!)
> vstrict=1: No green boxes (of course)
>
> My hunch is that it has to do with this little patch:
>
> http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-cvslog/2005-May/021759.html
>
> (it looks to me that the lavc_param_strict parameter was changed to
> default to -1 in this patch, and not 0 as before).

That's exactly what I suspected.
vstrict=0 (the default up to pre7) will make a mpeg that will play on more
DVD players than if you use vstrict=-1 (the default since pre8).

I don't remember exactly why the default value of vstrict has changed, but
if the default stays -1 then in the documentation it should be recomended to
use vstrict=0 for a better DVD compatibility.

Eli, I still need your help. Can you check if vstrict=0 is necessary
for VCD/SVCD too?

Giacomo